Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Running on Fumes

Donut fumes that is. Tonight was track night again. I avoided it last week due to my cold, but I had to go back and face the music tonight. Armed with my new strategy and buddy Melinda I met Sarah after work and we headed for the workout.

Sarah looked amazing. I enjoyed watching her jog away. I found my buddy and we started running. Tonight was a 3 minutes of fast (ha ha, theoretically that is) and 1.5 minute of recovery. We picked up the speed on the 3 and walked the 1.5. I intended to slow jog the 1.5 but ended up walking. I'm really nervous about the Saturday long run this week which is 8 miles. So I figured I'd save my track legs this evening. The night went great and we ended up doing 3.8 miles with a total average including walking breaks of 10:31/mi so I feel really good about it.

My sister lapped me 3 times. I'm so proud of her. I'm no longer deluding myself that I can try to keep up. I feel good in my own right. I've found a nice little niche for myself with new running folks who are trying to enjoy it just like me. We are kind of having fun even. Who knew.

Like tonight when at about 2/3 of the way through the workout we suddenly all smelled donuts at the same time. I don't know where the scent came from, but for about one lap we chatted about what color, shape and type of donuts they were. Then we discussed Voodo donuts and before we knew it, our last interval was done.

Friends, fumes and no extra calories consumed. For the first time ever I can say that this track night was a very good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment