Sunday, February 13, 2011

Move over Eminem

8 Miles! Now when I hear that I am no longer besieged with images of Eminem in a grey hooded sweatshirt. No more bad semi-biographical movie references. Rather I shall remember a beautiful run on a warmer than average February morning. Yesterday I ran 8 miles with my pace group in my on-going training program for the Corvallis Half.

We started out with a cool little talk at the local tri shop about fuel on the run. It is interesting to shift your mindset from using exercise to burn calories and to wrap my head around taking in calories to fuel my performance. When my only thoughts for starting runs in the first place was to lose weight, this is a big thinking shift. But I get it and I will follow it. After an exceptional amount of loving from the shop's mini-aussie to help with my motivation, I found my group and headed out.

It felt good from the start. As the miles passed, I began to wonder why I had spent so much time worrying about the 8 all week. Two more than the previous week had intimidated me. It shouldn't have. While I was getting pretty tired by the end, the group dynamics kept the energy up and I got to talk to several people I hadn't talked to before. It is nice to have that energy source when your reserves start to deplete.

I heard a rumor that next week might be 10. Am I scared about that? Hells yeah. My achy knee this morning is a not so gentle reminder that these are pavement miles and they are a lot less forgiving than the trail miles of last summer. But I will stretch well this week and prep well. If it gets tough I know that my group will pull me through. There is something to be said for being a social creature!

No comments:

Post a Comment