Thursday, April 1, 2010

Say hello to my little friend!

Spring is here. Oh yes, Spring is here!

How do I know spring is here? Is it my tulips in the front beds? Is it the occasional sighting of the sun in the sky? Is it the temperature of the raindrops or the adorable frolicking lambs in the fields? Nope, none of those even comes close. It's all about the arrival of my favorite fluffy treat. It's PEEP SEASON!

My friend Erin is horrified by my love of peeps. She has even gone so far as to say some really awful things about my fluffy little friends. But what she doesn't know is that I've loved PEEPS for longer than she has been alive. So step aside girlfriend, my loyalty lies with the chick. (Or the bunny, if I'm in a bunny sort of mood)

Now some people are Peep purists. They only eat the chicks and they only eat them in yellow. I do not fall in this camp. I am a semi-purist. I guess it stems from my Episcopal background. Not as dedicated as the Catholics, but a close second right? I believe that all Peeps are created equal. I love the chicks in all colors (although I am partial to the blues this year for reasons I'll explain soon) and I love the bunnies too. While normally purple are my favorite, I have very much enjoyed the orange this year as well. However, while not a purist, I am a Peep traditionalist. I do not believe in Peeps in other seasons. I've seen them in hearts, bats, baseballs and Christmas wreaths. That is where I draw the line. Peeps are meant to signify spring and should not be taken in vain and bastardized to fit other holidays purely for profit. No, they are an Easter/Spring candy only. While I will be more than happy to purchase extra and save them to make s'mores in the summer, I will not purchase the summer version. Nope, it's chicks, bunnies or nothing!

Now Peeps have ALWAYS been my favorite Easter basket treat. I'd willingly trade my sister peanut butter eggs and hollow chocolate rabbits for her peep stash. But it wasn't until last night that I truly experienced the magic of the Peep.

I have been trying for months to break the 36 minute mark for doing the Bald Hill loop. Try as I might I could never, ever get faster and quite frankly it seemed that I was slowing down. So last night when Sean came home and said "Let's go run" I was less than excited about the prospect. So as an act of defiance I popped two blue peeps in hopes of claiming I just ate and blame my slow time on that. Well, those little peeps powered me through and like a biggest loser contestant, I shattered through the 36 and skipped right to the 34:10 mark. And I owe it all to my little blue friend. Yes, I know men over 40 can say that same sentence but maybe, just maybe there is something to the blue.

Mmmmm Peeps, my own performance enhancer..wonder if I can order a case?

1 comment: