Saturday, October 20, 2012

Beaver Nation (less one)


It's Game Day here in Cornvally. The Beavs are going for their 6th consecutive win, a feat unheard of since before 1939 so as you can imagine, football here in Beaver Nation is a very big deal. Annie and I are ready with our jerseys on, our fight song memorized and our OOOO SSSSS UUU hand gestures perfected. Yes, everywhere you go in town today is a sea of black and orange. Everyone is so excited. United we stand with the goal of 6-0! Well, everyone except my husband. WTF? First off, how can you not be excited about the fact that the Beavers are finally on a winning streak. We've waited forever for this. Second, um...are you not a male? Isn't football more of a boy sport anyway?

I asked him why he didn't want to go party with the family tonight to watch the game and have dinner and he gave me this excuse..".I don't want to be out there that late."  OK, what are you 90? Seriously, the game doesn't start until 7:30pm so I'll give you that it's going to be a late one, but come on, it's Saturday night. Granted, our customary Saturday night involves being asleep by 9:30 but just once we could live it up. Somehow though this excuse doesn't really hold water for me. So I waited a bit and then tried again.

"Why don't you want to go watch the game tonight?" I asked again. This time I got a different excuse. "Because I'm not really a football kind of guy, I'm just not that into it."  Um...ok, yeah, that's why there is a suitcase full of 1970s NFL football cards in the top of his closet, complete in those see through collector sleeves that he has carted around to every house we've ever lived in. Yeah..not a football guy.

So now I'm trying to decide if I want to go watch the game with the fam all by myself and leave him to wallow in his detest for football until he trods off to bed at 9:00pm here all alone or if I should suck it up, stay here and just lock myself in the spare room to watch it.

Mom's house has chex mix though....... I think I'll probably be leaving the football hater here.  I may not love football, but I love the Beavers and I love Chex Mix.

OOOOOO SSSSSSS UUUUU, Fight, Fight, Fight!
Go Beavs!

No comments:

Post a Comment