Sunday, April 22, 2012

A little dose of D


This is the scene outside my house today. My cherry tree is in full bloom as are my tulips. The sky is crystal clear and I haven't felt this good in weeks. It's like the long drawn out fog of winter has finally lifted and with it new hope has replaced the constant sadness I've felt for months. It was like this yesterday too. I took it as an opportunity to spruce up my outsides and my insides. Mind you, I'm not talking about the yard or the house. That's just plain crazy talk. Rather, I had my hair done, went downtown and ordered the bike I've been coveting for months now and sat down and had a heart to heart with my husband. It's been really long overdue. It's so easy to take each other for granted in the busy, busy world we live in. Marriage is funny like that. You can ignore it and it is still there. You can harbor bad feelings and it just hangs out there. Until one day it doesn't, which I've been watching happen to someone else for months. It dawned on me this week after a particularly nasty disagreement that I too could head down that same road if I didn't start taking the time to cultivate my life.

So on a sunny Saturday I did just that. I reopened conversations and I listened. Not for what I wanted to hear, but rather for what was said. I highly recommend it my friends. Should you be having the same ugly conversations that just keep repeating themselves try listening instead of taking. It's amazing what you might learn.

Today I tackled the homework that has been hanging over my head all week. One advantage to online learning is that the internet can be located in many, many places. Today it was located on my front porch. Sitting in the sun with my laptop on my lap and a drink (water with lemon, come one people) breathing fresh air and generally loving the life I have.

I pretty much feel like the tulips out in front of my house right now. Happy. It's been a really, really long time since I could say that. I think I could get really used to this feeling again.

Cheers friends. Enjoy what you have and who you have it with.


No comments:

Post a Comment