Sunday, June 12, 2011

The letting go...

This is it. The final week of the 2010-2011 school year. I celebrated by dragging my ass into work this morning to get a jump start on the week. Good thing I did too because I made major progress and then opened my e-mail to find a cubic ton more work than I anticipated. At least I'm not freaking out about it now as much as when I got there.

I'm hoping that this week will go smoothly with minimal surprises. I'm kind of sorry to see this batch of kids go. I really enjoy them. But since I didn't get the 4th grade gig I was hoping for so I could loop with them, I'm ready to just move them on. Kind of harsh, but it is easier to just let them go. I know this is the job I signed on for. One little year. Usually it isn't a big deal to let them move on, but occasionally, just sometimes you meet a batch of kids that has more heart and soul than most. That is this group.

And so I will work a little harder than usual on my year end slide show (yes Sean, it's gonna happen again). There will more than likely be a few tears and not just on the part of the kids come Thursday. The room will be a little more quiet when they go.

Sometimes, your life is a little bit better in June than it was in September, because an imprint has been placed on your heart that is just a little bit deeper than those of years past.

I hope they remember me as much as I shall remember them. It has been an honor. As Dr. Seuss would say "Oh the places they will go."

No comments:

Post a Comment