Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunshine and Sucker Punches

Today is a beautiful day outside. I'd love to be riding my bike or walking the dog. I'm not doing either of those things. Rather, I have spent the last several hours inflicting severe pain by catching up on my grad class this term. It's called "Cultural, Social and Philosophical Issues in Education". Sounds smart right? Well they should have just called it "You Suck."

Basically the entire premise of this class is that the public school system is a sham and we are slowly and painfully killing our children with our current system. The current theme of the week is that school and education are completely unrelated. The sad thing is that I'm starting to agree with a big chunk of what is being said.

Add that to the fact that our preliminary budget for next year came out this week. Next year I look forward to us loosing 17 teachers, 20 assistants, 8-10 furlough days, closing a couple of schools and consolidating others, and a pay freeze. It makes me wonder what the hell I'm even doing anymore.

The irony here? I paid for this! I'm taking this class in my on-going pursuit of my master's degree. Which is of course required to renew my license, so that I can........

wait for it.....

teach in a public school.

No comments:

Post a Comment