Monday, August 6, 2012

Light a Fire

It's the start of the second week of August already. How did that happen? I know what that means. Essentially my summer is quickly coming to a close. Another teacher once remarked that August is to summer as Sunday is to the weekend. She's right. It's the time when I'm still officially off work, but it's on my mind all the time.

This year it's especially daunting because I moved classrooms and thus need to completely unpack and set up an entirely new space. I need to learn new standards, new material and plan for a class and subject I haven't a clue about. I have no idea where to even start, so I haven't yet. That really can't last much longer though. It's exceptionally sad because this has been my M.O. all summer really. I thus far haven't completed any of the big summer home and self improvement plans I had.

It turns out that while I have absolutely loved the lack of requirements of my summer this year, I crave structure. Left to my own devices, I'm useless. Rather than use this time to get in killer shape and completely reorganize my house I've gained weight and removed about 1/20th of the stuff I planned to from the house. I've spent more time watching T.V. and playing with Annie than doing much of anything else. It's possible that my beautiful new bike has cobwebs.

I need to figure out what my motivation is to get a fire lit under my butt and get myself in gear. This week I'm in charge of Madeleine while she has her Humane Society 1/2 day camp, so for the rest of the week I'm vowing to be productive at least while she is at camp. I should be able to accomplish something during that time.

Come on August, you're hear breathing down my neck. Help me light my fire. Maybe I can get a little jump from Fake Steve Perry from the band "Journey Unlimited" who played at our fair this year.


It's like he singing right to me. I feel more inspired already.

No comments:

Post a Comment