Monday, January 30, 2012


What a difference a day makes. 48 hours ago we had just gone on a great family run. 24 hours ago I had Rogue out in the house playing Moe Mouse fetch while Sean ran to the store. I should have had the first inkling that something was amiss when he didn't want to eat his dinner. But, he'd been cooped up all day while we took the kids on their first Aunt and Uncle adventure to Evergreen Air and Space Museum.

As the evening got later, Rogue got odder. He wasn't interested in eating and soon became obvious why. He didn't feel good and threw up, not once, but twice. We all decided to call it a night. He then had accidents and incidents all night long, keeping Sean busy taking him in and out, while I cleaned up in between when necessary. It made for a very long night and an unhappy and sleep deprived family. With the light of day came the realization that we had one sick puppy on our hands. I had to go to work and Sean called the vet and made arrangements to get him in right away.

The basic consensus was he wasn't in great shape. He had a fever and was quite pale. He also was demonstrating a lot of abdominal pain. Sure enough, a phone call several hours later confirmed. He had another blockage and they wanted to do surgery immediately. The difference this time though, the prognosis was very good. So, off he was sent into surgery while we waited to hear what they found and how it went.

Meanwhile, I came home from my day at work around 5:30. Longing to work off the intense stress of the day I decided to hop on my spin bike and get started. I opened the office door and was meet with the steamy island tropics. Wait a minute, I'm not in the islands which can mean only one thing. Our frickin water heater is leaking again! One slide of the closet door and feel of the carpet was all it took to confirm my years of TV detective training. I called Sean who was luckily already on his way home.

Channeling the long held advice of my father, he tried the simplest thing first. A quick trip to Bi-mart and $1.49 later the unfortunate truth came out. It was not in fact the simplest thing. No matter, we'll call in the plumber a.k.a. the brother in law Stafford. Armed with two beers and his plumbing reference book the boys quickly solved the problem. The solution unfortunately was that we need a new water heater. This one is toast.

Seriously? An emergency dog surgery and a toasted water heater in one day? Do I look like I'm made of money? Seriously?

The silver lining in all of this is that my wonderful sister lives one block away so at least I was able to trek over to her place for a shower tonight before bed. I had no idea what I was going to do about that if not for her. Now Sean starts the quest to find us a water heater that we can get quickly and still afford to bail our dog out of the hospital later on this week. I know in the grand scheme of life this stuff is small potatoes, but in the scheme of Ross life, it's huge and we really could use a little break or two.


No comments:

Post a Comment