Sunday, January 22, 2012

Step One!

I've always heard that admitting you have a problem is the first step towards healing. Sounds easy enough, although admitting it in the first place can be tougher than one thinks. However, this week I realized that I have a problem. I've not only got too many irons in the fire, but I've also come to the conclusion that I think I have ADD.

I'm notorious for starting something and then getting distracted and not finishing it. I've run empty wash loads of laundry waiting for the soap to mix and getting distracted. I've left the milk out, left flat irons on, had my lunch eaten by the dog and generally created my own havoc in my house.

Normally I can manage it ok myself and while things tend to take me much longer than they should, I eventually get through it all. Now however, it's getting out of hand. I don't know quite what the tipping point was, but I've gone a little off track lately.

I'm currently working full time with the most challenging class I've ever had. It's all I can do to stay one step ahead of them and I'm not confident that I'm getting all the information into their heads that I should have by now. Testing season is already upon us and with that comes the inevitable panic feelings.

Add to that the fact that I'm in grad school still. Not fun. The class this term is much more interesting but a ton of reading! I spent the majority of this weekend working on catching up before the next week assignments show up.

I've completely fallen off my weight loss and exercise program. It was the first thing to get tossed out when I started feeling overwhelmed. Funny how the things I need the most are the ones I give up the quickest. I need to learn to prioritize my sanity.

I can't help but wonder if I could get things done faster if I could just quiet the brain, focus the attention and for once finish one damn thing that I started. Even as I sit here I hear the buzz of the dryer and remember something I wanted to look up online and realize I didn't make more ice in the freezer.

I think I've become one of those kids at school that drive me nuts. If only the parents would medicate I always think. Hmm, take care of yourself lady.

My name is Tracie and I'm a.......

Hey! Squirrel!

2 comments:

  1. I hear ya! I have similar distractibility and Facebook, pinterest, blogging and twitter definitely don't help. You and me, back running again in mid to late February once I am healed from the toe whacking incident.

    ReplyDelete