Wednesday, May 16, 2012

It's Time Baby!

There is an old song I always loved by The Byrds "Turn, Turn, Turn". One of the lyrics refers to "a time to dance". Let me tell you folks, it's dancing time.

Tomorrow is the last official day of OAKS testing. After dragging the majority of my students through 6 long testing sessions, comprised of 3 opportunities each in both Reading and Math we made it. My students are already done. They finished today. My last kid to finish was a pass, which was a great way to wrap up the year.

Any of you who have been following this blog may recall the horror of last year's results. Our 3rd grade team had a 30% pass rate. It was hideous and our principal used us as the poster team of failure. It's the closest I've ever come to walking away from a job on the spot. He facetiously informed us at the beginning of this year that after last year, anything over 30% and he'd dance on the tables. His lack of faith in us was ill placed.

Well shine up your dancing shoes boss man cause 3rd grade has a 58% pass rate this year. I won't go into how that is one low flipping bar. Today my only concern is the show I'm going to be front and center for.

Don't worry, lest you fear for the kids who were just pawns in a broken system. I've got Popsicles for them tomorrow. We are celebrating in the afternoon with a party for their personal rock star status whether or not they passed. Regardless of their number on a test, there are 27 little 3rd graders who gave it their all. I've never seen kids pulling out all their skills. Boss man better be amazing cause they sure earned it.

1 comment:

  1. Give the boss a popsicle and tell him to suck it! :) Yay for you and the kiddos!

    ReplyDelete