Sunday, December 5, 2010

Breaking up is hard to do

Dear Running,

I've known for a long time that this day was coming. Maybe it was inevitable from the start. A May-December relationship if you will. Oh you saw me, older, more experienced, as a challenge. I saw you as a way to recapture the days of my youth. The first few months were beautiful. We saw each other much more frequently then, twice, three times, once even four times a week. But then you began to take your toll on me and our time together became less and less frequent. I should have seen it then.

I know you will try to blame me for the straying. A bad ankle, a bum knee, lungs that never do work well. But you yourself are not without blame. I see you around with the others. Do you not think I notice you out there with those fit girls? Braids swinging, tights without shorts, making it look easy. I see your smile with them as you avoid my gaze. Oh yes, I see you You Player.

I'm on to you now. Hook me in with the promise of fitness, engage my competitive nature so that I don't even know who I am anymore when I'm with you. I don't like the snarky woman I've become when I include others in our time together. Competing with Sean like a fool! Never having a chance to enjoy the day because I'm pushing so hard I can't breath. Oh, I'm on to you running. And it's over. Oh, it's SO over. I gave you what I had and it just wasn't enough so I'm moving on. I choose me!

I'm sure there is someone else out there for me. Out there in my garage I think. Covered in boxes and subaru parts, patiently waiting for the prodigal girl to return home to her.

And so we part running. I'll see you around.



P.S. Call me sometime...............Doh!

1 comment:

  1. Running just called me, and says to tell you "You'll be back, just wait, you'll be back..." Then there was some mumbling about "those stupid wheeled #$&*^% think they can %$&$*# with me, I'll..." but I couldn't quite figure out the rest.

    ReplyDelete